Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hitting the old piñata...the kids and me





While I was staying with my Missionary of the Holy Spirit amigo in Guadalajara...they had a birthday party for his two year sobrino...Alfredo. You might notice in the second picture that not only did the piñata split in two...but so did the stick I was using... Aren't I tough!!

The song for the piñata:

Dale, dale, dale,
no pierdas el tino,
por que si lo pierdes
pierdes el camino.

The culture significance of the piñata: The original piñata was shaped like a star with seven points. The points represented the seven deadly sins, and the bright colors of the piñata symbolize temptation. The blindfold represents faith and the stick is virtue or the will to overcome sin. The candies and other goodies inside the piñata are the riches of the kingdom of heaven. Thus teaching that with faith and virtue one could overcome sin and receive all the rewards of heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Gracias for the origin of the pinata! I never knew! I think you ALWAYS break the pinata stick...you don't know your own strength!

    ReplyDelete