Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Basicilica of Zapopan





One of the places the brothers of the Missionaries of the Holy Spirit and I went to while I was in Guadalajara this weekend (May 1-May 2) was the Basilica of Zapopan, which Pope John Paul II visited in January of 1979 (the year I was born). There wasn't a lot of pews for folks to sit during the 12pm Mass...so we stood. The place was packed!

A couple interesting points...a collage of sorts about the first canonized Mexican...San Felipe de Jesus you can read a bit about him here: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12006b.htm

Also...a chapel devoted to confessions...with tons of penalty boxes and plenty of people waiting to get in...actually, it seems to me that I find the Sacrament of Penance a high priority for the Mexicans.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying all these pictures & updates Fr. Ben, looks like such fun!...thank you!
    God bless,
    Verline(OLGC parishioner)

    ReplyDelete